We stopped by SAPeople’s Tasty Recipes section to learn how to make the much-loved South African traditional sticky spicy treats: Koeksisters.
- 4 cups cake flour
- 2 cups self raising flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2.5ml salt
- 10ml fine ginger
- 10g (1 pkt) instant yeast
- 10 ml fine cardamom
- 10ml aniseed
- 1 large egg
- 10ml fine cinnamon
- 15ml oil
- 30ml butter
- 375ml (1½ cup) hot water
- 375ml (1½ cup) milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Desiccated coconut for sprinkling
- 250ml cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamon pods
- Mix flour with spices, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Melt butter in hot water and mix milk.
- To dry ingredients add egg, oil and milk-water mixture.
- Mix thoroughly to form a soft smooth dough.
- Leave to rise for about 1- 2 hours in a warm place.
- Once risen, moisten hands with oil and roll dough into a sausage shape and cut into 2cm slices.
- Set aside to rise again.
- Lightly stretch slices to form an oval shape and deep fry in medium hot oil until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a slow boil, stirring to ensure sugar does not burn.
- Stir until the sugar syrup becomes slightly sticky.
- Boil the koeksisters in it for1- 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle with a little of the desiccated coconut and serve hot.