Before we get started, remember that a potjie is a very informal way of preparing food, each and every potjie is unique and you can add any ingredients that you want to add to your pot, it is very difficult to provide specific amounts of ingredients.
We went the easy route and bought potjie vegetable mixes for the lamb potjie because none of the ladies in the family felt like standing in the kitchen and chopping vegetables.
We’ve got an easy recipe below on how to make a lamb potjie
20 ml cooking oil
1 kg lamb
Salt and pepper to taste
4 medium onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (sliced)
1 pack baby potatoes
3 kg potjie mix
1 kg mielies (cut into halves)
500 grams lamb stock
- Heat a potjie over medium coals, add oil.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat in the heated oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, fry for two minutes.
- Add lamb stock over the meat, cover pot and allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. N.B. Make sure your pot is not boiling.
- Add potjie mix, potatoes, mielies to the pot. (in layers).
- Cover pot with lid and allow to simmer for 2 hours. DO NOT stir during the cooking process, be patient.