Perfect Winter Nights in For the Whole Family
Enjoy your Friday night home theatre with this easy home-made biltong pizza.
What you’ll need
For the pizza dough:
- 600 g plain flour
- 10 ml (2 t) of salt
- 5 ml (1 t) sugar
- 1 x 10 g packet instant dry yeast
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- ± 400 ml (1 ¾ C) lukewarm water
For the topping:
- 500 ml (2 C) tomato sauce
- 1 x 440 g can Rhodes Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
- 150 g sliced biltong
- 350 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the top and add the olive oil.
- Add 250 ml (1 C) of warm water to the flour and work the mixture together.
- Continue adding the remaining water, a little at a time, until the dough is soft yet firm and is kneadable without sticking.
- Knead the dough by hand for about ten minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a floured bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock down with your fist and knead again.
- Divide into 4 equal balls.
- Roll out the dough for the pizza bases and place on a lightly floured baking tray.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base.
- Top with the Rhodes Pineapple Pieces, biltong and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the pizza in an oven preheated to 200˚C for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and the pizza topping golden.
Food Tip: If you’re in a hurry, use a can of Rhodes chopped & peeled tomatoes with mixed herbs as the tomato base.