Craving an authentic mutton bunny chow? Don’t fret, with this classic Durban mutton bunny chow recipe, you wont have to travel all the way to KwaZulu-Natal.
What you’ll need:
1 loaf white bread
500g cubes of deboned leg of lamb
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
20g chilli ginger paste
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
10g cumin powder
15g garam masala
40g mixed masala
400g chopped tomatoes
25ml pureed tomato
salt and pepper
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
30g chopped dhania (coriander)
1 cup water
- Heat oil in a large pot, fry onions, garlic, ginger and chilli until soft.
- Add the lamb and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and stir to coat the lamb. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, stir to coat the lamb.
- Add water to just cover the lamb.
- Cover and cook for 45minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped potatoes.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are cooked and the lamb is soft.
For the bunny
- Slice the bread into ¼’s and hollow out each piece, making sure not to scoop all the way through. This ensures the curry doesn’t run out .
- Spoon the curry into the hollow and place a chunk of bread on top.
For a refreshing carrot salad, click here: https://www.rhodesquality.com/recipes/carrot-salad/